The course will take 2 to 3 days (weather permitting). First day is a full day of class with the first jump possibly in the afternoon. Day 2 is to complete the five Phase 1 jumps and finish the course paperwork. Part of day 2 and day 3 is reserved for the USPA portion of the course (see USPA Tandem rating)
- 18 years of age
- 500 ram air jumps
- 3 years in the sport
- D-license or foreign equivalent
- Hold an instructional rating, Coach or higher
- FAA class 3 medical certificate or foreign equivalent
- Experienced a cutaway, real emergency or intentional
- 50 jumps within the last 12 months
- 4 hours of freefall time
- purchase the Strong Tandem packet prior to the course
Note: Foreign candidates who do not intend to make tandem jumps in the USA do not need the Strong Tandem packet but instead pay $40 rating fee.
The Strong Tandem Packet:
Strong requires each candidate jumping in Canada and the USA to get the tandem packet before the course starts. This packet contains the course books, videos and the rating application forms. You can order the packet directly from Strong by calling +1 (407) 859-9317 or you can e-mail email@example.com. Keep in mind that packets are typically mailed using US Postal Service. Order your packet early enough that you are able to review the materials before your class. Once you have received the packet you can take the written exam. The exam is an open book test. You will need to arrive at the course with the exam completed.
Non-USA residents, who intend to do tandem jumps outside the USA only, do not need to purchase the tandem packet but instead pay $40 rating fee to Strong.
Getting the Strong Tandem rating is a 2 phase process.
- Phase 1 is the tandem course with the 5 phase 1 jumps under supervision of a Strong Tandem Examiner.
- Phase 2 is 5 additional tandem jumps with an experienced jumper who has at least 100 jumps.We offer the option of making the phase 2 jumps with SkydiveRatings staff for continuous education using a special program we developed, to further build your confidence and skill as a Tandem Instructor. This program is optional.
The course will take 2 to 3 days (weather permitting). First day is a full day of class with the first jump possibly in the afternoon. Day 2 is to complete the five Phase 1 jumps and finish the course paperwork. Part of day 2 and day 3 is reserved for the USPA portion of the course (see USPA Tandem rating) The USPA portion is at no additional charge when you take it together with the Strong course.
For the evaluation jumps you will need:
- A baggy jumpsuit
- Open face helmet or a leather hat
- If you own an audible please bring it to use on the evaluation jumps
You need to bring copies of:
- drivers license
- USPA card with D-license number and Instructional rating endorsement
- FAA medical certificate
- Logbook page showing 500 jumps
- Logbook pages showing 3 years in the sport
- Logbook page with cut-away
- Logbook pages showing 50 jumps within last 12 months
- Logbook page showing 4 hours of freefall time
If you never had a cutaway we can arrange that the intentional cut-away rig will be here during your course. This rig, built by Strong, has 3 canopies in it. The emergency handles are in the exact location as on the Strong tandem rig.
You can use this rig under supervision of the Examiner. Let us know that you need it.
If you already possess a current tandem rating from an approved manufacturer you can get cross trained to the Strong rating. To cross train you will receive some classroom. Strong requires you to make 3 Phase 1 jumps under the supervison of an Examiner and 2 phase 2 jumps. The written exam needs to be completed as well.
To qualify for cross training you must:
- hold a current tandem instructor rating from another approved manufacturer
- have at least 100 jumps on that system
- purchase the Strong Tandem Packet prior to the course, except non USA residents
- Have at least 25 tandem jumps in the past 12 months
- meet all the requirements for the initial Strong rating (see above)
- Candidates with 100-499 tandem jumps must make 3 jumps with an Examiner supervising
- Candidates with 500 or more tandem jumps and 50 tandem jumps in the last 12 months need to make 2 evaluation jumps.
For USA residents, go ahead and order the Tandem packet from Strong. (407-859-9317) We need you to make the written exam at home and bring it with you to the course. If you need a foreign Strong certification let us know and we will send the manual and the exam questions to you by email.
You will need to bring the same documents as candidates who take a full course. Please look at the list above.
In addition to that please bring:
- Current tandem rating
- Logbook entries of 25 or 50 tandem jumps in last 12 months
For the Tandem evaluation jumps we would like you to bring:
- Baggy jumpsuit
- Head protection: open face helmet or leather hat
- In case you own one, please bring your audible.